Sunday, April 04, 2010

If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School by Kalli Dakos


April is poetry month! Children's poetry is often about life in school and this book is no exception. If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School is written by an elementary reading specialist, Kali Dakos. This book has 38 poems that children and teachers will relate to, poems about spending a lifetime in 3rd grade; forgetting your lunch money; messy desks; show and tell; and other challenges and excitement about being in school.
*********************
I Brought a Worm

Jane brought a baseball bat
And a ball for sharing time.

But I brought a worm!

Rich brought a goldfish bowl
Without a goldfish.

But I brought a worm!

Lizzy brought an egg with a yolk
And an egg without a yolk.

But I brought a worm!


Joe brought an eraser shaped like a knife
And an olive sandwich.

But I brought a worm!

Jane showed us how to hit
The ball with the bat.

Rich put the class turtle
In the goldfish bowl.

Lizzy showed us how to prick an egg
And take the yolk out.

Joe tried to cut his sandwich
With his eraser knife.

But I ate the worm!
Right there in front of everyone

I ate the worm!

(It was a candy worm.)

No comments: